The use of modern teaching methods was at the center of the professional training, which was organized by the Kurdistan Teachers' Union (KTU) with the support of Education International (EI) in the regions of Raparin, Koya and Akra.
Each three-day training course gathered 25 teachers and covered the following four topics:
- Introduction to the basics of teaching and learning
- Inventory of traditional teaching methods
- Discussion of the different areas of distance learning and learning
- Viewing and analyzing two systems or programs for distance learning, d. H. Zoom and Edmodo
Benefits of distance learning
Participants identified clear benefits of remote teaching and learning. They emphasized how distance learning means enabling students to continue learning to overcome geographic barriers to education. In addition, distance learning helps solve the problem of teacher shortages in remote and rural areas.
Another benefit was that distance learning is useful for shy children. Distance learning can continue in times of war and unstable conditions.
Participants also stressed that this could help develop teacher standards.
Cons of distance learning
The KTU members were also aware of the disadvantages of distance learning and learning. They cited difficulties arising from unstable internet connections and indirect contact between students and teachers. They believed that distance learning could undermine the role of teachers in the educational process and reduce the opportunities for lively and effective discussion on a topic, as opposed to what is normally the case in classrooms.
The training session participants also highlighted the lack of trained and experienced distance teachers and the difficulty of managing and properly evaluating students' attitudes and manners during the course. They stressed that while distance learning is useful for theoretical subjects, it is less suitable for scientific and practical subjects.
They also raised concerns about issues that children may face at home that would not be detected with distance learning.
Requirements for successful distance learning
KTU President Abdalwahed M. Haje highlighted the conditions that must be met for successful teaching and learning from a distance:
- The teacher must be experienced
- The learner must be motivated and willing to learn
- Existing educational programs can be used to benefit from distance learning
- The learner needs to become familiar with the teacher's teaching method
- Teaching must be clear, easy to understand and different from traditional methods